What Happens If You Swallow Mouthwash
Mouthwash is intended to be used to clean your mouth to have that refreshing breath. It is made to prevent your teeth from oral cavities and bacteria. Although it is taken orally, it is meant to be gargled and not swallowed. Some mouthwash products contain ingredients that can be dangerous if they are taken in large amounts. So what happens if you swallow mouthwash? Let's find out.
What Is Mouthwash Made Of
Mouthwash is made up of a lot of different ingredients. Cetylpyridinium chloride is the usual active ingredient which intends to stop gingivitis and plaque. It may also contain other ingredients, just like fluoride, peroxide, and benzyl alcohol, to help eradicate stinky breath.
It also contains mineral oil, water, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate, sunflower seed oil, and beta-carotene. These ingredients help preserve and add some health advantages to the mouthwash. For example, the sunflower seed oil is said to contain vitamins and minerals that help with a person's health.
Half of the entire formula is made up of water. The water undergoes a process called de-ionization. This means that it has been completely treated and cleaned to remove unpleasant tastes and other particles. This process produces a smooth taste and reduces bacteria and other hazardous items. A small amount of peppermint or spearmint flavor is also added for flavor purposes.
Effects Of Swallowing Mouthwash
What happens if you swallow mouthwash would depend on the amount taken. Consuming a minimal amount of mouthwash can do you no harm. However, there's a tendency that you may experience nausea or diarrhea. There's nothing to worry about as these symptoms should pass within a day or two.
Swallowing a hefty dose of mouthwash can be a bit risky. It can make you feel dizzy or drowsy. You may experience troubled breathing and convulsion. In critical cases, you may slip into a coma. These symptoms can occur if the mouthwash contains poisonous ingredients, such as fluoride or ethanol.
What To Do When You Swallowed Mouthwash
In the case of swallowing a large portion of mouthwash, here are two things that you need to do:
Check the label - Check the label for you to know if the mouthwash contains poisonous ingredients. For severe cases, head to the emergency room, and bring the mouthwash bottle with you.
Seek professional medical help - You can call the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for confidential help. Make sure not to let the person who is overdosed with mouthwash vomit. Ensure that you also have personal information of the victim, such as his age, weight, and the type of product and portion swallowed. It is important to have the product with you, so you can tell the operator the specific components.
What happens if you swallow mouthwash may differ. You may or may not at all experience any symptoms depending on the amount and ingredients. Pay attention next time and avoid distractions when you're using mouthwash to prevent this kind of accident.