How To Wash A Memory Foam Mattress Topper
If you are planning to purchase a memory foam mattress topper to reduce arthritic and joint pains, a survey says you’re making the right choice. But, with its material and structure, you may wonder if the cleaning process will be convenient for you.
This article will guide you through the process of how to wash a memory foam mattress topper. Read on.
How to clean a foam mattress topper with a stubborn stain? You can follow any of these methods:
- Dampen a soft cloth with hydrogen peroxide. Make circular motions to blot out the stain. Caution: Hydrogen peroxide can discolor your foam while cleaning away stains.
- Dampen the stained spot with water then sprinkle boric acid. Use a sponge or cloth to blot the stain by making circular motions. Dry the spot with a hand vacuum.
- Use an enzymatic pet stain remover to spray clean a stain. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Then, use a damp cloth to remove residue—vacuum to dry.
It is best to remove stains immediately. Dry stains are more difficult to remove. If all these methods fail in removing stubborn stains on your memory foam, contact a professional mattress cleaner.
Washing A Soiled Mattress Topper
Can you wash a memory foam mattress topper? Definitely. However, drying a thick memory foam mattress topper is not easy. So, if yours is not too dirty, you can either vacuum it or spot clean any stains using the methods above.
But if you are convinced that your memory foam mattress topper needs a good wash, then you can do so outdoors or in the tub. These are the materials that you will need:
- Hand vacuum with a soft brush attachment
- Fabric cleaner
- Rubber gloves
- Spray bottle
- Spray attachment for hose (for outdoor cleaning)
- Detachable shower head (for cleaning in the tub)
- Distilled white vinegar
- Hairdryer or electric fan
- Clean tarp
Follow these steps on how to wash a memory foam mattress topper:
- Vacuum your mattress topper thoroughly using the hand vacuum with a soft brush attachment.
- If you are doing the task outdoors, place the mattress on a clean tarp near a water supply. If you are doing the task indoors, place the mattress in the bathtub.
- Mix one part fabric cleaner with two parts water in a spray bottle. Shake well.
- Spray the entire mattress topper with the cleaning solution.
- Let the solution stay on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the mattress with clean water. Use a detachable showerhead if you’re cleaning in the tub, or a spray nozzle on hose if you’re outdoors.
- Gently fold and press down the mattress topper to squeeze out excess water. Wear rubber gloves while doing this.
- Mix 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the vinegar solution on the entire mattress topper.
- Rinse it again with showerhead or spray nozzle. Gently squeeze out excess water by folding and pressing down the mattress topper.
- Once the foam is not soaking wet, use a hair dryer to dry it out. Make sure that it is set on its lowest setting. Maintain a proper distance between the foam and dryer so as not to cause damage to the foam.
- Or you can air-dry the mattress topper using an electric fan.
- Make sure your mattress topper is completely dry before putting it back in your bed.
How to wash memory foam mattress topper may be a bit time-consuming. But sleeping on a fresh and clean bed every night will all be worth it.