How To Sharpen Disposable Razors Easy Steps
Disposable razors are for limited use only. It is advisable to use them when traveling. It is also best to have them at home for guest use. You can use them for three shaves, or with proper care, you can use them up to 10 shaves. In this article, let’s find out how to sharpen disposable razors to help prolong their use.
How To Sharpen Disposable Razors
Using disposable razors doesn’t mean that you have to throw them away after one shave. Follow this easy step on how to sharpen disposable razors to maximize their use.
- Step 1: Get a pair of old jeans - An old pair of jeans is highly recommended to make sure you won’t do any damage to your new ones. Stropping using denim can cause the fabric to fray or deteriorate over time.
- Step 2: Place jeans on a flat and sturdy surface. You can place it in your kitchen counter or on the table or any flat surface suitable as a sharpening surface. Make sure the surface is clear from any objects, clean, and dry.
- Step 3: Clean the razor blade – get a cup of warm and soapy water. Soak the razor blade for about 15 to 30 minutes and swirl it in the water for the best result.
- Step 4: Let the razor dry completely - Remove excess moisture from the razor by holding it firmly and shaking it into the basin of your sink. Make sure that the blade is completely dry by using a piece of cloth to wipe the remaining moisture. Run the razor along the cloth with a motion that follows the blades' direction.
- Step 5: Run the razor along the jeans. Do this in one direction for about 20 times in short and quick strokes. Make sure that you go with the direction of the blades and not against the blades.
Strops That You Can Use
A strop is a device used for sharpening razors. Here are the different strops that you can use to sharpen your disposable razors.
- Leather – This is the traditional strop used for sharpening. You can hold the strip of leather tightly while running the blade over it until it is sharp.
- Denim - If you don’t have leather to use, a pair of old jeans will still do the magic.
- Forearm – Your forearm is another alternative that you can use for stropping. Although you have to take caution when doing this to avoid cutting yourself. Just apply minimal pressure, and you’ll still achieve the same results when you use denim or leather.
Disposables may not be environment friendly, but you can easily learn how to sharpen disposable razors so it will last a bit longer rather than changing it frequently. It is something that you can do to somehow help the environment and at the same time save few dollars every month with just a little effort.