How To Clean A Mattress Topper Quick Tips
Do you love to sleep? Who doesn't? But the truth is, while you sleep, a lot of your body oil and sweat can accumulate on your mattress topper. And even if you change your sheets regularly, your allergies might still be acting up because of it. It seems like a lot of work, but we're going to teach you how to clean mattress topper with quick and easy tips.
Cleaning A Mattress Topper
If we imagine the many ways we are affected by allergens that start accumulating in our mattress, we begin to understand why we must know how to clean mattress topper. Here are some cleaning tips:
Use a vacuum
- Remove your mattress topper from the bed and place it on the floor, since a hard surface makes it easier for you to reach all its corners.
- Attach a soft brush to your vacuum and start vacuum cleaning your mattress topper.
- Use a circular motion so you can gently clean dust particles and grime on your topper.
- When you finish one side, flip it and continue cleaning the other side with your vacuum.
TIP: Use a powerful handheld vacuum or a water-based vacuum cleaner for better results.
Spot Cleaning Stains
If you notice stains on your mattress topper, these are caused by sweat, body oils, or accidental spills. You can spot clean when handling stains.
Before you start the steps on how to how to wash a foam mattress pad with spot cleaning techniques, here are some things to remember:
- Prepare a clean cloth with light colors to avoid bleeding dark colors when dipped in a cleaning solution.
- Read the instructions on the memory foam mattress' care label before using anything to clean it.
Use a laundry detergent
- Choose a mild, liquid laundry detergent diluted in water. Do not use powder detergent.
- Mix equal parts water and detergent in a bowl.
- Dip the soft cloth in your mixture and use circular motions while rubbing it on the stains.
- Allow the solution to sit for 30 minutes.
- Take a clean cloth and wipe away the mixture, ensuring there is no detergent residue left.
- Use a dry towel and blot the area.
Knowing how to clean mattress topper also means you should know how to deodorize it once in a while. You can create your own solution by following these steps:
- Mix two parts of warm water and one part detergent in a spray bottle.
- Spray over your mattress topper gently, ensuring you don't get excess water on your foam.
Use Baking Soda
- Make a mixture of two parts cold water and one part baking soda.
- Rub the solution on the stained area.
- Allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Dip a clean cloth in water and remove any residue.
- Use a paper towel or a dry towel to blot the area.
- Another way to do it is to sprinkle baking soda on your mattress topper and vacuum the soda after 8 hours.
There are still other ways to clean your topper. But are you wondering, if you can machine wash a foam mattress topper? You may be tempted to use more convenient means, but for the sake of your mattress, we recommend you stick to our suggestions above.
The methods on how to clean mattress topper might seem time-consuming, but as an item you use daily for rest, it deserves extra care.